Thursday, February 6, 2014

Baboon behind the cage

The two Chinese girls inside the DHL delivery truck were in their twenties; one could tell. Their hair was long and lustrous; one could tell. The truck stopped at my front gate some time last week. The driver was a young Malay chap with a friendly face. He delivered the parcel with due civility and paid no attention to matters outside his purview.

The girl at the window seat closest to me stared without restraint. She nudged the girl sitting next to her and gestured towards me. Both fixed their curious gaze on me. I felt like a baboon peering out through the cages at the zoo.

I minded.

I minded not having more hair on my head. I minded that I looked awkward. I minded that this awkwardness made others awkward.

My mirror revealed the same pathetic story from every conceivable angle. White with patches of grey. And ~~~  It isn't curly.





4 comments:

  1. Hey Kiddo,

    Xin Nien Quai Le !! Thank you for your card..

    I am sorry for the curious gaze of people who do not yet understand.
    It is a very physical world we live in, bombarded yet with more media frenzy

    Next time you look in the mirror, go near it and breathe a breath out to mist it.. to be able to do that one must be alive !!!

    Next therapy, use a non-permanent marker and start drawing curls on your mirror image, you can have even a moustache haha - have fun..

    Take it easy.. what others see or cannot see does not matter.. it doesn't add or subtract anything within you unless you give them permission..

    In my thoughts and in my meditation.. thank you for writing your stories ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehehe ...

      Thanks kiddo! For cheering me up. Considerably. *LOL*

      Delete
  2. Hi Carol,

    Reminds me of the many times Aaron got stared at.... even up till today...each time we communicate/signed in public. Thank God it is not what others say nor think that defines who we are; it is what God days! Take care, buddy! Cast all your cares on Him... Hugs!! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trouble with standing out is that you get stared down. Perhaps that is why most of us conform. Our inherent need to be homogeneous is the ultimate rule. Hiya, Pat!

      Delete