Wednesday, March 26, 2014

"I don't have $50."

The first time she walked into Radiotherapy, she stared at me in a sizing-me-up kind of way.  I was uncomfortable with it.  The young man beside her, presumably her son, had a caddish look about him.  My instincts told me to steer clear.

She made her second appearance yesterday with a loud "I don't have $50. What should I do?"

Everyone looked away. She approached me.

"Can I borrow your phone? I want to call my son to bring $50 so I can have my treatment."

I helped her dial the son's number which went unanswered.  Then she plucked out her mobile phone to check if the number she gave me was correct.  I was flabbergasted.

"I don't have $50," she continued.

Everyone looked away. I didn't know what to do.  Should I help her? $50 isn't a lot of money and she'll probably never return it but the bigger question was ... to give or not to give.  Yet what if her case was genuine?

I made a decision.  I'll give it to her if she asked me directly.  She did not.  She just kept on staring at all the others.  My number was called so I went in for the treatment.

God's will, I guess.  If my number hadn't been called I would have given her the money had she asked.

Yesterday's treatment was my last and I was glad I'll never bump into her again.  She gave me the creeps.


No comments:

Post a Comment