Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Crochet Balls

What was it they said about time?
Time and tide waits for no man.
... which meant of course, that our time here is short. We're not going to live forever. Nobody could, not even the Emperor Shih Huang Ti who sent his 300 youths to Japan to find the elixir of youth. And what was it they said about Death?
When Death summons, even Monarchs obey.
Why, yes ...  I'm trying to out talk myself. Death scared the shit out of me. Palpitation and cold hands went with me to every funeral. Time is short. We must make the best of the time allotted to us ... oh yes! .... so I picked up my old crochet needles and started making crochet balls. 


I started off with 2 loops which carried 6 single crochet stitches in the epicenter. The number of stitches in each row increased to 12, 18, 24 and finally 30 by increments of sixes. I repeat the rows of 30 stitches for about 5 to 6 rows. Two cotton squares (for facial wipes) are inserted at this point after which I started reducing the number of stitches by sixes from 30, 24, 18, 12 and back to 6 where the stitches are cast-off (Is that what it's called?) and the cotton squares sealed in.

A ribbon is inserted and tied into two opposing stitches at the top. Recycled lace and petals from old flowers are pasted and crowned by the rose. (I'd never imagined that I would one day learn to make roses from ribbons but that is precisely what I've picked up recently. One is never too old to learn anything new.)

What to do with these balls?

Why you drip a few drops of essential oil onto the balls and hang them up wherever pleases you - toilets, wardrobes, closets, kitchens, door knobs, curtains ... just about anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment