Monday, August 3, 2015

Day 1 - Vienna

I was accustomed to airport taxis getting me and my luggage to the hotel so it came as a surprise to learn that that wasn't going to happen. Instead, we were led by young Tweedle-Dum to the airport train, transiting thus to the city center. The last time I took on the public transit system was decades ago and I had quite forgotten the nasty things that can happen when the train started to move and when it stopped. Inertia of motion. It makes you lurch forward or backwards, resulting in inappropriate body contact with strangers.,

As we hopped off the train, I remembered wishing that we had traveled light. Hurrying up and down stairs and escalators, whichever available, wasn't exactly my idea of a vacation. Nor was I particularly fond of heading this way, then there, looking for the right train at the U-Bahn subway Complex. Ms Walk-Faster was unusually effective in herding us along.

"Walk faster! The next train is arriving!"
The subway system consisted of 5 lines - U1, U2, U3, U4 and U6. The trains stop at 104 stations along 74.6 km of track. All platforms were equipped with electronic information displays that showed the waiting time in addition to the destination. This information wasn't in English so it was with some difficulty that Tweedle-Dum pointed out our next train and destination. 

Off to the ticket vending machine (picture: right), we went. (It cost EUR2.20 each.) 

Then, there was this matter about hopping onto the right train at the right track. Tweedle-Dum's qualm was written all over her face. Her father's dubiety was a tad discomforting.

Our final destination was the Star Inn Hotel Premium Wien Hauptbahnhof. (Wien is the German name for Vienna.) Hauptbahnhof means Central Railway Station.) We were informed that the Central Railway Station is located opposite the hotel. The subway lines ran below while the train track at the surface goes out of the city. (It is from this station that we will catch the train for Budapest at the tail end of our trip.) The different levels of the train complex were occupied by retail and fast food joints, most serving sausages, hot dogs, ham, pastries and cheeses. The INTERSPAR and SPAR supermarket chain could well be the anchor tenant.

U-BAHN TRANSFER STATIONS
Karlsplatz U1, U2, U4
Landstrasse U3, U4
Längenfeldgasse U4, U6
Praterstern U1, U2
Schottenring U2, U4
Schwedenplatz U1, U4
Spittelau U4, U6
Stephansplatz U1, U3
Volkstheater U2, U3
Westbahnhof U3, U6

Well, we reached one of the stations above. (I knew not which.) We piled out of the subway with our luggage, hurrying up and down stairs and elevators (whichever available), until we reached the ground level. 

"Walk faster! Walk faster! We have half a day today to explore Vienna," Ms Walk-Faster chirped from the front. 

Walking out of the train station, we crossed what looked like a large monsoon drain, There were two more roads to cross to reach the hotel. At the corner of the building next to the hotel was the supermarket chain SPAR. It was closed on Sundays. I was immensely relieved to be able to rest at the lobby, knowing that our rooms will be available shortly.

Mr Nice-Guy was taking a long time at Reception. (As  the organizer for this trip, it was he who made all the arrangements.) And why was he asking for directions instead of registering at once to get us all our room keys? Surely Vienna can wait. My feet was unaccustomed to all that walking and I was tired. 

As it turned out, we were at the wrong hotel! (There were several Star Inn hotels in Vienna) I looked at the signage. Star Inn Motel. What beastly luck! Was it appropriate to blame this on Luck, I wondered as we lugged our luggage out of the hotel, across the two roads and a large monsoon drain, into the train complex, down the stairs and escalators, whichever available to the waiting tracks.

Mr Nice-Guy conferred with Tweedle-Dum. The pressure of having to lead so large a group was taking its toll on her.

"How am I to know? Stop asking me this and that," she snapped at her father.

The guys (there were three) poured over maps, brochures, electronic displays and google map. New tickets were bought. We (our luggage included) headed for the platform below.

"Walk faster! The train is arriving!" came a familiar sound from the front.

We hopped onto the train (I was getting good at this) and hung on to the nearest standing pole. Hopping off at one of the stations, (I knew not which) we lugged our baggage up and down stairs and escalators, whichever available and headed out of the station. We were out there in the sun once again. Ms Walk-Faster fussed over her sunblock lotion while the rest surveyed their immediate vicinity. There wasn't a hotel in sight. We were in trouble again. Tweedle-Dum was not to be approached after her last outburst. Mr Seventeen was appointed as the new Navigator.

The map was not helpful. Neither were the road signs and police. Finally, they approached a burly man, showed him the name of our hotel and asked for direction. With a smattering of English, he pointed at the distant OBB building.

It was another long walk.

"Walk faster! We still have time to explore Vienna!" The Voice (also known as Ms Walk-Faster) entreated.

Muttering under my breath, I struggled to keep up with the family of five who were fast disappearing in the distance. At last, we reached the OBB Building. Our hotel was two blocks away. Located right opposite the hotel is the Hauptbahnhof Train Complex. (picture below) Apparently, we got off at the wrong station.
Haupbahnhof Station (opposite the hotel)
We checked in at 4-18 pm, which was three hours after landing in Vienna. A taxi would have taken us there in less than 30 minutes. The Star Inn Hotel provided all necessary toiletries contrary to what we were told. The only thing missing though, was the bidet. Accustomed as I was to bidets, that was an unhappy inconvenience.

FAVORITENSTRABE
The day was still young so our group of travelers suggested a leisurely walk at the nearby Favoritenstraße, a pedestrian walkway.

Most of the shops were closed (Sunday) except for a few food joints. We had chicken kebab sandwiches. It did not look appetizing but it was delicious.
Favoritenstraße
Fountain at Columbus Square
Columbusplatz
Zentralsparkassenfiliale (Z-Bank)
I thought the pigeons looked large (above: left) so I took some shots. Just as I captured the picture on the right, both my lower legs suffered from muscle cramps and I fell heavily on my knee. I was in too much pain to feel awkward but I noticed the two Turkish old-timers on the bench (near the pigeons) watching me with cool disinterest.

My knees were bruised and my toes were blistered. I could not move. I could certainly groan so I delivered my best rendition of same. It was about half an hour before the cramps eased. Have you ever wondered why good swimmers drown from muscle cramps?

I needed some antiseptic cream for the bruises on my knee and plasters for my toe but the pharmacies (known as Apotheke) were closed, it being a Sunday. The only option left was to return to the hotel to see if they have a first aid kit I could use. They did not.

As I do not make a habit of falling on my knees, the bruises I sustained hurt. Going out for dinner was out of the question. My husband (bless his soul) packed from the train complex opposite the hotel something called Bratwurst (soft crusty bun with white pork sausages) EUR3-70. It was delicious.

A text message came from home. Ginger, my 8 year old Chihuahua was refusing food and purging again. She had on two prior occasions been admitted to the animal clinic for Hypo and Hyper Gylcaemia. It looked like new troubles were brewing.

Meanwhile the family of five explored Vienna until close to midnight, We turned in for I was exhausted. Although it was 9 pm, daylight was still with us. I slept well that night, waking up at 2 in the morning. It was dark outside. Two hours later, Vienna was bright and life stirred in the train complex opposite my window..

Favoritenstrasse


No comments:

Post a Comment