Monday, December 7, 2015

Old Bedsheet

It all began when I discovered thread counts. Hitherto, my shopping decision were determined by color or design. I had no idea why some bedsheet cost more than the others. It was a long process of discovery before I finally saw fit to ask the sales assistant one fine day. And having made that discovery, it was imperative to spend more money to correct my situation.


That was how I ended up with heaps of old bedsheets.


I'm not exactly a tree hugger but I do hate throwing away usable things. Some of my old bedsheets were still good - well, except for the thread count.

So what did I do with my old bedsheets? I turned them into floor rugs, which I have been using since Adam was a boy.


Recently, some old buddies appeared at my humble abode, saw my knitting basket and was so inspired by my creative resourcefulness, that surely a blog entry regarding this was conceivably justified. I figured that if I managed to inspire them to be resourceful, well ... why stop there? Why not take that extra step?
Once again, the journey was a long and eventful one. I began by cutting one inch strips and connecting the strips with a sewing machine. There were two problems.

  • The bulky spot where the strips were sewn together looked unsightly.
  • The edges frayed
Clearly, I had to rethink this.

Next,  I decided to cut the strips diagonally. That took care of the frays but the bulky spot where the strips were pieced together still looked unsightly.

After this, I had a brain wave. The only way I can get one continuous strip is by cutting the fabric from the outer perimeter in a spiral cut towards the middle. Since the fraying were significantly reduced, I shorten the width from 1 inch to 1 cm. That was a Eureka moment! I finally got my one huge ball of fabric yarn.

And the knitting began ... but I will not bore you with the detail. As far as thread counts go, my best bedsheet had a thread count of 900. I'm still looking to break that record.

No comments:

Post a Comment