Monday, January 4, 2016

Peranakan Jewelry

I noticed from statistics that quite a fair bit of readers were interested in Peranakan Jewelry as evidenced by the hits on that old post. This came as a surprise since I had only expected readership from my immediate social circle. In any case, I visited the Green Mansion late last month to see if I could pick up anything interesting.

The place was crowded with tourists.

Sitting majestically amongst the Peranakan antiquities were modern pieces. One of them stood out like a sore thumb. It was a platinum bracelet embedded with emeralds and diamonds. The price tag on that piece will make your heart go boom-boody-boom! What is a piece like that doing in a place like this, I wondered as I ogled at the magnificent piece.

The solitaire rings were all gone. So were some interesting wrist chain that once caught my eye. Business is good, said the lady at the counter. And to think I once had reservations about picking up antique pieces with dubious pasts.

Mind you, I've read many a wild story about dead people with strong attachments to their jewelry so the procurement of said pieces did come with a fair bit of misgivings. They're only stories, I know. But still ...

When I bought my first pieces, I hinted as much to the lady at the counter. She grasped my drift at once and laid my qualms to rest.

"Get a new ceramic bowl and fill it with water and a pinch of salt. Drop your jewelry into it and leave overnight. That'll take care of everything," said the good lady.

Now we did not deliberate on her "everything" for it wasn't polite to discourse at great length about the spooks. However, I am glad to report that after acquiring the pieces for close to two years, and having performed the "everything" ritual mentioned aforesaid, nothing of the spine-chilling blood-curdling variety had befallen my fellow shopper and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment