Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Day 9 - Rhine Falls/Zurich

"Guten Morgen", Mr C hollered on the last morning of our tour. "This morning we will drive about 52 km to Zurich. Unfortunately, this being a Sunday, all the shopping area will be closed. As previously agreed, we will visit Schaffhausen instead."

Lake Zurich

The statue of Ganymede, Lake Zurich.

According to Greek mythology, the handsome son of a king was kidnapped and taken up to the top of Mt Olympus. Hands raised, Ganymede pleads with Zeus, father of the gods (the eagle) to bear him up.



Zurich was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. As all the shops were closed, we had a spot of window shopping where I was drawn to the cows, none of which were purple and I mentioned purple because of this poem I knew as a kid.

THE PURPLE COW
I never saw a purple cow
I never hope to see one
But I can tell you anyhow
I'd rather see than be one.
-  Gelett Burgess

* the above poem was a popular nonsensical poem written by Burgess. It was followed a few years later by another, when an irate Burgess tried to quell its popularity.

Ah, yes, I wrote the "Purple Cow"
I'm Sorry, now, I wrote it
But I can tell you Anyhow
I'll Kill you if you Quote it!







And with that, we piled into the coach for the drive to Schaffhausen to look up the Rhine Falls.





Rhine Falls












And this is where our trip came to a memorable end. Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment