Thursday, July 11, 2019

The Surgeon

The Surgeon who handled my mastectomy way back in 2013 was a retired Professor. She peered from the lower half of her thick spectacles at the paper bag I placed on her desk.

"These are handmade soaps, Doctor," I began.

"Handmade soaps! I love handmade soap. They are so good for the skin." exclaimed The Surgeon.

" ... for you and your girls..."  I had wanted to add, but the words died in my mouth when I saw her gather the bag of soap and place them inside the lowest drawer on the left of her desk where her handbag was. At her Breast Cancer Clinic, three young girls manned the reception. The waiting area was packed with anxious faces, seeking words of assurances. Not knowing whether The Surgeon and her girls would appreciate my handmade soap, I had decided to throw about 4 pieces inside the paper bag, expecting them to be distributed among themselves, if they so desire. That was two years ago.

My annual mammogram and ultrasound scan followed by consultation was a routine that I had not missed since 2013. Upon seeing her delight at receiving my soaps, I decided to continue giving her and her girls the same token of appreciation on a yearly basis. Since the reception area was always crowded, it seemed awkward to hand my soaps to the girls in the presence of all their patients. I had to find a way.

On the following year's check-up (that's last year) I came up with the PERFECT PLAN. I packed about five pieces of soap in a paper bag for The Surgeon and three individual pieces in three smaller bags. The reception area was once again crowded so I waited to be called into The Surgeon's room. As she peered at my scan reports, I lifted the bigger pack of soap and place them on her desk. She peered at them from the bottom half of her thick spectacles.

"Handmade soaps for you, Doctor." I began.

"Handmade soaps! I love handmade soaps. So good for the skin." She exclaimed as she gathered the big paper bag to peer at its content.

"And these..." I said with a devilish grin as I brought out the three smaller bags of soap, "... are for your girls." One of the girls were with us in the room. She smiled sheepishly.

"Oh, I don't have any girls. I have two boys," continued The Surgeon. "I suppose I can give these to their girlfriends." And after some thought, "Nah.... I think I'll keep them for myself. You know, so many of my patients made these. So good for the skin."

The PERFECT PLAN failed.

On the following year (which is this year), I came out with THE FLAWLESS PLAN. It was opportune as the clinic had shifted to a bigger room. This time as the waiting patients were evenly distributed in the larger room, I had the girls at reception all to my own. I quietly slipped the bags of soap to them before giving the larger bag to The Surgeon.

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and some of you would have handled this far more admirably but there you are. THE FLAWLESS PLAN worked.

The Surgeon waived her consultation fees, as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment