Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Chalet

I'm not one for the great outdoors and although I gravitate to beaches, I'm not exactly accommodating when it comes to accommodation. 

This particular chalet had a ceiling fan and an old one horsepower air-conditioner. The water heater in the bathroom didn't work and the quilt cover is the blanket. Other than that, its clean. 

The toilet bowl is something else. Brown water marks under the inlet told me the water here is probably unfiltered.

I've checked out the other chalets. There were about 10 in all. Some had two rooms and a living room. The rates differed. Contact detail in THIS POST.



We had crab for dinner at a seafood restaurant about a kilometer or two away. The cashier was an old lady who was sleeping on the job. The waiters were from Myanmar as was the cook. No, I didn't ask them. I didn't have to. Myanmar was written all over their Myanmar faces. How were the dishes? Bad. This restaurant is classified *F&L. A white kitten came and sit by my feet. I'm not a cat person but this particular kitten had adorable eyes. For the first time in my life, I gave it some food. It's mother scampered towards me. I'm not a cat person but it isn't nice to feed one and ignore the other so I fed the mother too, albeit grudgingly. After that unwholesome meal, we wheeled back to the chalet. Yup! What do you know? Missed the sunset.

I had planned to walk along the beach but it was a moonless night and we didn't have any torches so we sat at the veranda with ground nuts and chilled beer enjoying the sea breeze as it swept in. The chalets were fully booked that weekend. A family of five occupying the chalet on our right were barbecuing. Whiffs of roasted squid joined the incoming sea breeze. The effect was not unpleasant.

A young couple occupied the chalet on our left. Armed with hand torches, they walked along the beach before returning to the chalet to clean up, then go out for dinner.

I couldn't sleep.

Notice that pile of sand just yards from the chalet? That's how far the sea came in.

I fretted that the sea might breach its perimeter and come pouring over me while I slumbered. After all, Nature is known for her unpredictability. Then I thought about the tsunami. If it were to come in on this night, this wooden chalet would be washed away in an instant. And I'd become so much debris.

My better half (bless his soul) spoke about tsunami warnings and how we'll get plenty of notice. When the floor board started to tremble deep into the night, I stayed awake for the impact which never came. It's a simple plan, really. The more you try to stay awake, the sleepier you get. The sea was rather loud that night but I dozed off ... eventually.

I liked the sea. I do. Like all wonders of Nature, they should be respected and admired from a distance. Having the tide pull in the sea right to your doorstep isn't cool. I've witnessed the fury of king tides while in Sarawak. Although it is an awesome sight, it can't be fun to be caught in one.

* F& L (First and Last)



No comments:

Post a Comment