Friday, October 23, 2015

Of Tamoxifen and Osteoporosis

The good doctor at the hospital had a cheery face. He greeted me amiably when I entered his room.

"Any problem, auntie?" He asked politely.

I told him about my tailbone aches and it's probable link to tamoxifen.

"Of all the hormone medication prescribed for breast cancer, tamoxifen had the least effect on bones. There are two known side effects for tamoxifen. The first is hemorrhage. The second is blood clots. Both side effects will cause swelling and excruciating pain." Dr H (not his real name) explained.

"Tell me about your tailbone ache. Is the pain excruciating?" He continued.

"No."

"Do you need painkillers?"

"Umm... no." I grinned.

"In cases where the cancer cells attack the bone, the patient would typically be in excruciating pain. Since you were able to identify a probable cause for the pain, and since it isn't painful enough to warrant painkillers, I believe you could be right."

After the routine examination, he begged my pardon before jabbing his fingers at parts around my tailbone.

No pain!

That's a celebration!

No comments:

Post a Comment