Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Appetite Anguish

Some eat to live. I live to eat.
Yup! That pretty much described in a nutshell the significance of food to me. I've lost my appetite, folks. There's two reasons I can think of which could have caused this. 

Hormone pills.
These were believed to make you all sorts of weird. The oncologist (who prescribed this) told me to expect hot flushes or any other menopausal symptoms. Those did not come. Instead, I lost my appetite..

Here I am, at my desk with a plate full of assorted fruits, munching on them as I write my post. What's wrong with this picture, you asked? Well, its something which hadn't happened before. Fruits are okay, don't get me wrong. I don't have any quarrel with them and I could be persuaded to have them for the occasional lunch, once in a blue moon but to have them three days in a row just stretches the imagination.

What's weird is that I can't even bear to look at the meat dishes on my dining table. They nauseate me.

Effects of hormonal imbalances?  Or?

Damaged Taste Buds?
The chemotherapy I went through could have damaged my taste buds.

This kinda reminds me of Madam Grandma. (More about her HERE.)  She's the one who bit her tongue accidentally and was later diagnosed with cancer. Her oncologist prescribed 35 radiotherapy sessions. Was it 35? I can't remember. I think some of my memory cells are dead too.

Anyway, Madam Grandma loved to talk. (Which woman doesn't?)  She would shinny up a tree to reach you for a chat if you're hiding up there above the canopy. On any given morning, she'd circle you until you look up and when you do, she'd give you that all encompassing smile as she advances for the kill. That's probably very mean of me but I've lost my appetite so I'm allowed to be cantankerous.

On one such morning, Madam Grandma was as usual surrounded by a bunch of cackling women. (I'm sorry, did I say cackling?  I'll retract that.) I was seated some three meters away from the cacklers. I don't have to tell you (but I will anyway) that they were talking really loud. Grandma was telling them how the radiotherapy will affect her taste buds. When those taste buds are destroyed, there will not be any new ones to replace them. She will lose the ability to taste.

Horror of horrors! I think my taste buds are dead!















No comments:

Post a Comment