Friday, January 16, 2015

The Old Tin-Miner

I was tossing and turning in my bed. Sleep was going to be evasive again as it had been for the past few nights. Just as the clock on my wall hit midnight, fireworks filled the sky. Someone was playing online games downstairs in the study.

About an hour's drive away, two men kept vigil at the bedside of their father, The Old Tin-Miner. His breathing was labored and he was exhausted. It had been a difficult fortnight. The treatment had not gone well. The bronchopneumonia had worsen. Both lungs were infected. He was frail for his heart was weak and he threw out everything he swallowed.

Earlier in the day, he had written down on a piece of paper two words; "Death" and "Suffering." It wasn't clear if he knew his time had come for he could no longer speak. Those who took care of him stood silently by him anticipating his needs and fulfilling them. He too, could not sleep as the day drew to a close. His eyes were shut as he waited. As the clock hit midnight, the night sky was filled with fireworks. The countdown began as revelers welcomed the new year. 2015 entered and took away The Old Tin-Miner.

He was 92. 

He was my father-in-law.

When he first came to live with us, (after his wife died) I had difficulty communicating with him. Yet we grew to respect and honor each other through the following five years. I shall never forget his kindness and concern during my illness. He was always watching out for me when I was weak; (during my chemotherapy treatment) quick to assist me in my daily chore and just as quick to arrange for his daughters to help me out.

I had two fathers and two mothers but none. My childhood and youth had been emotionally arid. Yet God, in His Mercy blessed me with the finest Father and Mother-in-law in the world. They left behind a legacy of love, kindness and thoughtfulness. They gave me a sense of belonging and taught me what it was like to care. I did not know what paternal love was. I do now. In counting my blessing today, I thank you, Lord for that and for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment