Thursday, December 19, 2013

5 Phase CT Scan

The last time I was here, they conducted the blasted fire drill. I remembered. I also remembered the she-trainee doctor who punctured me three times before successfully getting the IV needle in place. That was way back in August and if you have a thing for fire drills, you can read more about it HERE.

Why am I doing a second CT Scan?

Well, the first scan revealed a lesion in my liver.  They suspected liver hemangioma. (That's a cluster of blood vessels in the liver which is considered normal.) An Ultrasound was ordered. It ruled out hemangioma. What they needed next was a 5 Phase CT Scan which focused on the liver.

Once again, I was sent to see another young she-trainee doctor. She was nice but she had trouble inserting the IV needle into my veins. She went this way and that way. Miraculously, I did not suffer much pain. Prayer helps. Finally, when she thought she got the needle into the veins, she injected saline into it. It shouldn't hurt if the needle had been correctly inserted. She wasn't sure she got it right though. I was instructed to keep my hand straight and not to bend at the elbow. The needle might come out if I did so. What a frightful prospect!

Next, I was given a cup of water and told not to empty my bladder. They did not inject any contrast into the other end of me.  Also, no tampon this time.

When I was finally ushered into the machine room, I made a fuss about being instructed not to bend my hands. They laughed and told me to relax. The needle won't come out, its only plastic inside my veins, yada-yada-yada, the whole nine yards. Luckily, the she-trainee doctor came in to explain my position. They were a lot more accommodating after this.

Pretty much the same thing happened. I was asked to breathe in, hold my breath, and then breathe normally three times before they injected the contrast. I felt the rush of heat going down my body as the machine whirred above me.

The results will be out in a couple of days but I won't know until my next appointment with the Oncologist which is in about a month's time.

Meanwhile, please continue to support me in prayer.

Note: That spot where the she-trainee doctor inserted the IV needle? It's blue-black now.


No comments:

Post a Comment