Monday, November 10, 2014

Supplements

"Are you on any herbal remedies or supplements?" the good professor asked.

"Just Millennium Powder Beverage and Probiotics"

The liver hemangioma from the previous ultrasound scan was still at the same spot and of the same size. No new danger was revealed except that I have moderate fatty liver.

"Why do you need these supplements? Do you know they can cause elevated liver enzymes?"

"Well, they were strongly recommended and I thought they'll help."

"Supplements are known to cause elevated liver enzymes, okay? I even have one patient whose liver enzyme shot up because of vitamin pills."

I would never have thought that the supplements were the culprit so I consulted my GP, old Mr Choo.

"Probiotics and other supplements may be good but the trouble is that we don't know what other ingredients went into them, especially when they are not listed."

So I'm back on CRESTOR to contain my lipid. As for the supplements, they're being shelved for the time being.  My appointment with the gastroenterology professor is in three months time. We'll see what happens after that.


No comments:

Post a Comment