Monday, July 22, 2013

Adversity brings out the best in us.

The friend in my adversity I shall always cherish most. I can better trust those who helped to relieve the gloom of my dark hours than those who are so ready to enjoy with me the sunshine of my prosperity.  -  Ulysses S. Grant
I feel blessed.  Friends and relatives gathered around me in my hour of need.

My nieces (Kat and Serena) were among the first few to know about the Beast.  They helped me pull through my depression by constantly reminding me to stay positive.  My husband was a source of great comfort.  For any negative report I hear, he countered them with something positive.  The rest of my relative on both sides of the marital divide gathered to give me moral support as well as exchange encouraging anecdotes from cancer survivors they knew.

On top of that, I received several offers to transport me to the hospital for my chemotherapy sessions.  I was deeply touched by these thoughtful offers.  Adversity brings out the kindness and compassion in people.  This much is true.

Despite their busy lives, my sisters-in-law came by daily to help with the daily chores. Christian brothers and sisters gathered around me in prayer.  Friends from Sarawak prayed for me over the phone and through emails.  A fellow Church member I did not know prayed for me at Professor Yip's clinic in the waiting room.

And there were so many success stories.  My husband's boss had her breast removed in 1982.  Today, she is a bubbly successful corporate figure living a normal life.

A Christian couple (Kelvin/Lydia) spoke about an old man who was healed after he repeatedly raised his hands in church to pray a simple prayer.  "Heal me, Oh Lord, and I shall be healed.  Save me, Oh Lord, and I shall be saved."

My niece (Kat) had a business contact who survived breast cancer after 15 years.  Her friend's mother had two breasts removed.

Sisters-in-law had buddies and colleagues who survived breast cancer and lived to talk about it.

There's Tay's mother and Kok Hoon's aunt, both in their eighties, who survived cancer.  My sister's neighbour who survived cancer and lived for 30 years.

My cousin's friend, another survivor.

The list went on.  I feel encouraged.

There is hope yet ...  for me.

Surely.

No comments:

Post a Comment