Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Power of Distraction.

The past few days had been difficult.  There's the nausea coupled with the loss of appetite.  My waking hours were filled with dread and foreboding.  I tried to find a positive anchor.  It kept evading me and the general wretchedness continued to wear me down.

By evening yesterday, I was in a state of restlessness.  I needed a plan.  I needed a distraction.  It has always worked before.  I slept fitfully and dreamt all sorts of unwholesome dreams.  As I sat on my bean bag early this morning, I resolved to take charge of my life.

I drank my usual Millenium beverage.  Half an hour later, I had my usual coffee.  (I had stopped drinking coffee since my surgery and there's only so much milo you can drink till it sickens you.)  After two slices of walnut cake, I went out for a walk in the garden.  Some light exercises followed.  It felt good.

My wound began to feel sore so I knew it was time to stop.  I returned indoors to start practising on my calligraphy.  (I am learning to write my Chinese name.)  Calligraphy is difficult. Still, it was a good distraction.  I imagined that I am some ancient scholar writing a million dollar piece of art.  Imagination is a great thing.  It doesn't cost a thing and it carries us to worlds that never were.  Without it, we go nowhere.
I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities.  -  Dr. Seuss 
After the light exercises, I took my BP.  It's beginning to look good.  Surely, the passage to recovery begins today.  I feel optimistic.

I am going to pick up where I left off.  I shall return to the forums I used to belong to.  I shall continue playing silly word games.  Those were necessary distractions, as they always had been, as they always will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment