Saturday, July 27, 2013

Taming the Beast.

Now we know the Beast.  The Beast had a name.  Cancer is its name.  How does one tame the Beast? There is but one way.  Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy followed by Hormonal Therapy..

This treatment will set me back by about RM60K if I had it done at SDMC.  A similar treatment will cost about RM10K at UMMC.

CHEMOTHERAPY
According to oncologist Dr Rosita and her team, my treatment will begin with six chemotherapy every three weeks, each session lasting for something like 2 hours or so. Blood tests shall precede each treatment to ensure that my kidney, liver and white blood count are in order.  I am expected to go through nausea and dizziness immediately after the treatment so getting there by myself had to be ruled out.

I might lose some hair or I might not.  Apparently this varies from patient to patient.  What I need to look out for is Fever which invariably tells us all that an infection is happening somewhere in our body.  If a fever is detected, I was to admit myself into the Emergency Ward without delay.

I had a question.

As I occasionally suffer from Urinary Tract Infection (UTI), will Chemotherapy KILL all those E-Coli in my urinary tract?  Unfortunately, no, answered Dr Rosita with a smile. What a pity, I thought.

RADIOTHERAPY
Since my tumor went into the Deep Margin (and by that, I assume that means the deeper layers of my flesh), I will require Radiotherapy.  Mine will be a 15 + 8 session, the first 15 of which is compulsory and the latter depending on the outcome of the former.

My treatment may be a little dicey since it involves the left breast and its proximity to my heart may complicate matters.  Also, fibrosis of the lungs is another risk factor worth noting.  From what I understand, fibrosis happens when the treatment inadvertently killed some lung cells.  I may or may not develop an annoying cough which may or may not be my companion for life.

HORMONAL THERAPY
Tamoxifen is the medication used in Hormonal Therapy.  It is to be taken orally daily for the next 5 years. What it does is to block or lower estrogen levels in the body, thus controlling the Beast.

Hormonal therapy however, is different from hormone replacement therapy (HRT).  HRT is taken by some women to treat troublesome menopausal side effects such as hot flashes and mood swings. HRT is used to raise estrogen levels that drop after menopause. HRT contains estrogen and can contain progesterone and other hormones. 

Hormonal Therapy works the other way by blocking and lowering the hormones and thereby control the Beast.

Now, isn't that something?




No comments:

Post a Comment