Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Blood Test - Chemo 6

The needle prick for the blood test today was painless although at some point, the nurse could not find my veins. I was praying silently at the time. I discovered later that my friends remembered me in their group prayer.Thanks, one and all. What will I do without your support in prayer.

The waiting list for radiotherapy is a long one so mine will commence only in three month's time. By then, my hair would have grown. I will require 23 radiotherapy sessions. This will be preceded by a CT Simulation scheduled next month. From what I understand about this simulation, they scan my body to see where the risk areas are, mark it and focused on it when radiotherapy commences.  I was told that the therapy will not hurt but it may burn my skin and cause skin ulcer. Then again, according to the oncologist, that's the worst case scenario and only apply if I have sensitive skin.

The radiotherapy may cause some damage to my heart and lungs. Given my high cholesterol, I may acquire some form of a heart disease and develop a permanent cough.

In a month's time, I will commence the hormone treatment. They have prescribed Tamoxifen and I will be taking a combination thereof for the next ten years. The long term effect of this drug is vein thrombosis and uterus cancer.

As for the shooting pain in my finger-tips, it may go off six months or a year after the last chemo.

I should be jumping for joy because the last of the chemotherapy session is tomorrow. Instead, I find myself in the depths of despair because the future looked bleak. It is the year-end. While others are planning their year-end vacation and company dinners, I am wallowing in self-pity.

No comments:

Post a Comment