Friday, November 1, 2013

Chemotherapy 5

On my first session with the oncologist, she told me that although the chemotherapy session is scheduled on a 3 weeks cycle, it can be delayed by a week but can never be scheduled earlier.  That was great news. My current treatment (i.e. Biggie No: 5) was delayed by precisely one week. That gave me time to recuperate which was a good thing because my WBC is back to normal. (It had previously dipped below the minimum.)

However, my Total Cholesterol shot all the way up to 13.4.  I don't get this cholesterol thing.  My protein is low because I had cut down on meat. So where did all that cholesterol come from?  Nuisance is what I call them! I analysed the blood test report. Okay, the HCL was on the low side and I hadn't been exercising but the variance was quite modest by my standard.The LDL was way past the mark. We know that the LDL is affected by our diet so I don't get it.  I hadn't been feasting like a King since my Operation in July so what gives? Perhaps its all in the genes?

As for the ultrasound, it could not conclusively determine what that black glob in my liver was. A second more conclusive CT Scan will be scheduled at the end of my treatment.

The needle prick for the blood test was a breeze, It was over before I thought it started. The same goes for the chemo needle prick. These nurses are professionals. I guess my preceding prayers (and those of you who were praying for me) helped in a lot of ways. Thanks, pals.

The patients this time were mostly young ladies in their early thirties. I wasn't sitting near the chemo board so I couldn't see how many patients were scheduled for the morning session.

Midway through the session, an elderly Malay lady sitting opposite me complained about breathing problems.The nurses stopped the medication at once and called for her doctor. By the time the doctor arrived, the patient was shivering badly. They monitored her vital signs, allowed more room for her to recover and shot another round of steroids. Her session resumed after about half an hour.

The Chinese lady on my left discovered a 2 cm lump on her left breast in June this year. She went to Gleneagles to have the lump diagnosed. They advised her to remove the lump so she opted for the operation. It was a lumpectomy which meant that only the lump was removed and she retained her entire breast. In total they also removed 20 lymph nodes. When the biopsy report came out, she was shocked to hear that four out of the twenty lymph nodes removed were diagnosed with Stage 3 cancer. The lump in her breast meanwhile was a harmless fibroid.  What does this tell you?

I'm so proud of myself today. I exercised for TWENTY minutes!  That's double my usual ten minutes and I abhor exercising. On the bright side, I'm feeling fine this morning. Then again, I'm flushed with steroids, all sixteen of them.

Oh, and by the by, the fourteen days quarantine is back again so I'm not allowed to receive any visitors. Thanks buddies for all your fine wishes and concern. We'll meet again when all this madness is over. This morning, I feel optimistic.


No comments:

Post a Comment