Thursday, September 5, 2013

Accidents Happen.

So I bit myself.  It happened sometime last week.  Nothing new, nothing surprising.  I do it all the time, it's what I do.  You don't need a degree in rocket science to figure me out.  I bit myself because I ate too fast.  And I ate fast because if I do it any slower, I'd lose interest in my food.  I can't figure out people who chew their food slowly. I would imagine the boluses of food lolling about inside their mouth combined with the mucus and saliva and instantly go ... well .... bluaargggh!

So that's why I ate fast;  to outrun my imagination, and I do have one heck of an imagination.  I could imagine up a storm and ride with the emotional tide until reality hits me, if it does, when it does.  Yes.  That sounds better. "When" is good. "If" is too iffy.

So I bit myself, twice, last week. How did I do that?  Yes. I figured you'd ask.  How does anyone in their right mind, bit themselves, and bit themselves twice at that?  I'm not going into the mechanics of the act.  (Actually, I am clueless how it happened.) Remember that I ate fast. Accidents happened when you eat fast.  My molar scrapped the inner walls while duly engaged perhaps.  Or the walls got in the way?  I don't know. All I know is the product of my act.  Mouth sores.  I had two of those last week.

When I was younger, I used to rely on this Special Powder my aunt supplied.  This powder came from a "secret recipe" inherited from one of the ancestry up her family tree.  My aunt was asked to guard this "recipe" so no one, not even the man at the Chinese medical shop got a copy.  My aunt passed away in 1989 so the reign of the Special Powder came to an end.

I found an alternative.  Listerine.  It worked but the healing time is slower.  And boy, did it sting! Remember the two mouth sores I had from last week? One of them is healed from a combination of Listerine and Biotene. (Biotene is a mouthwash for dry mouths. It came with protein and enzyme and what not. That's what it says on the label.)

I'm having trouble with the second mouth sore.  This morning, I remembered that honey had medicinal value too. I rubbed some honey on the sore and felt its sting.

When I was in Sarawak, I met a young native lad who participated in the seasonal harvest for wild honey.  From him I learned how raw honey (not processed honey) had been medicine to his people for generations.  He told me about the tribal war which used to burst out in those parts ages ago;  how internal injuries were healed by a mixture of honey and raw eggs; how sore throats were treated by swallowing a tablespoonful of raw honey.  As I rubbed the honey on the sore this morning, I remembered thinking "Andy, you'd better be right about this."





No comments:

Post a Comment