Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Preventing Lymphedema

So the blood test today was done without a hitch.  Perhaps the nurses at the Oncology Ward is more experienced?

I asked the Oncologist how long I was supposed to observe the Three Rules.  I haven't written about the Three Rules, have I?

My left breast was removed together with 26 lymph nodes.  What we may not be aware of is that lymph nodes are the drainage system in our body.  When the lymph nodes are gone, drainage of fluid became an issue. Hence the Three Rules must be observed on the affected hand.  (In my case: Left Hand)

  1. No blood pressure readings to be taken from affected hand.
  2. No intravenous needles to be inserted.
  3. No blood samples to be taken from affected hand.

This is a huge problem.  This meant that all attention is now focused on my right hand and the veins in them.  Each time a vein is used in a chemo treatment, it shrinked and harden, making it difficult to locate when a subsequent need arose.  I don't have that many veins on my right hand which is large enough for the intravenous needle so I was worried.

The doctor explained that this is a lifetime thing.  I will always have to observe the Three Rules. On rare occasion, I may allow blood samples to be taken from the bad hand but under no circumstances should I accept an intravenous needle or blood pressure to be taken on it.

So its a lifetime commitment.

Tomorrow I am going for my third chemo.  After that, there will be another 3.  If you are reading this, please pray that my veins remained strong for the duration of the treatment.  And please pray that God blesses the Hand which will heal me.




2 comments:

  1. Dear Carol, you are surely in my/our (am sure there are other quiet followers of your Blog) prayer and meditation for your healing.

    Thanks for the info your message has provided.
    Sadly, I know very well about the veins being the gateway to all sorts of intravenous 'bombardment'. And the effects of 'overuse'.

    You could try 'strengthening' exercise. Lift lightweight dumbell on your good arm. Maybe also the other arm - you know, try to balance it. This could perhaps make the vein grow more prominent. But first check with your good Doc.

    ReplyDelete