Monday, September 23, 2013

Ill Wind

Outside my bedroom window hung a Stravinsky wind chime.  It has been silent for the past few days with nary a sound or whisper.  It hadn't always been so, but dark clouds in the sky had not been honouring their promise of late.

While the earthly wind kept their distance, the wind inside me brewed itself into a tempestuous storm.   It was an ill wind that blows nobody good and I was poorly from the stomach chills, the diarrhoea and the burning sensation high up in the abdomen.   Once again I went to the 24H clinic to join the array of patients waiting to seek treatment.  Once again much to my chagrin, I was stared at and made to feel like a circus freak.  It had a humbling effect on me.

I used to walk confidently, chin up and shoulders back, looking others in the eye if they so much as throw me a disparaging glance.  Not any more.  My eyes are now downcast with the humility that comes with the Beast. Is this one of God's way to make me meek?  I guess I'll never know until I meet Him.

The doctor gave me a regiment of pills to fix my wind.  This is purely dietary, he said although patients who were administered the General Anaesthesia often complain of wind.

As the wind within slowed to a steady burp, the wind chime outside my window picked up a gentle breeze in the early hours of this morning. While it was comforting to listen to the tinkling notes, the breeze brought no comfort from the sweltering heat.

Or am I the only one experiencing this heat?




No comments:

Post a Comment